Wednesday, June 2, 2010

SeaFood……..

You hypocrite.

Yes you, sitting there reading this post on your computer made primarily of plastic. Comfortable in a synthetic fabric covered chair in a dwelling heated and cooled by electricity. Paid for by profits from your employment that you commute to in a vehicle that consumes fossil fuels.

Yes I am finally jumping into the oil spill in the gulf crisis.

I sailed in the gulf from Houston to Pensacola many years ago. The oil platforms off of the Texas and Louisiana coast were as thick as pine trees in a forest. They were everywhere. I have no problem believing the estimates that say there are more than 4,000 of them in the gulf. They are huge extremely complicated systems that can drill holes in the sea floor thousands of feet deep a mile or more below the surface.

They have been doing this for more than 40 years.

And now there has been an accident.

Men were killed, oil is leaking into the water.

The key word here is accident. No one intended for this to happen. Sure there may have been oversights on safety or maybe a complicated system just failed. Either way it was an ACCIDENT. Safety costs lots of money and would you pay a dollar or two a gallon more for gas to have a safer oil production system in place? Go ahead and lie to me, I'm used to being lied to. Something about having your cake and eating too.

BP is doing everything in their power to stop the leaking oil. It hurts them where it hurts the most,in their pockets. They are loosing millions of dollars per day. The stock market is falling; your retirement funds are dwindling away because the oil stocks in your mutual funds are dropping.

And now we are looking to assign blame and possibly prosecute their executives for the accident? Can we just try to repair the problem first and worry about who we are going to sue or jail later? And the damn TV news coverage makes me want to puke. I wonder why Al & Tipper Gore decided to announce their divorce THIS week? I smell Hookers and an environmental cover up.

Newsflash: The planet will recover. Read it again: The planet will recover. Maybe not in time for your vacation to the beach this year but it will eventually. I feel sorry for those that make their living from the gulf waters. They will have to adapt somehow. Just like we all have to when bad things happen out of the blue. Tornadoes, hurricanes, house fires, floods, earthquakes, diarrhea. Shit happens.

I could care less about dead pelicans and seagulls. I like having the lights on at night and I love my computer. Cold beer is really nice to. Everything in life has risks and rewards.

I really would hate to give up eating shrimp though.

I like shrimp.

1 comment:

Scal E. Wag said...

I always love to 'hear' your alternate POV. And as usual, you made me think about a certain subject in a different way. This one was great ... Thx!